Monday 23 April 2012

Foundation Review & Comparison!

Foundations


I usually wear Estee Lauder Double Wear (in the shade pebble).  However when I run out and don't have time to get a new one I try to buy one from the high street (drugstore if your not from this side of the pond).  The only problem with that is I never find one that I think is as good as EL.


This time round I thought i'd prepare in advance by testing out a couple before my EL runs out and let you know what I think of them...


Estee Lauder


So I can compare them I'll let you know what it is like for me.  As I said I wear the shade pebble and it has an SPF 10.  It is a very thick foundation and with that it gives a very full coverage - which I love!  I don't have problem skin which I'm trying to cover up, I just prefer a good coverage.  It means it will stay place all day (usually I don't have time to touch up my make up).  I do have a slight redness to my cheeks which this easily covers up.  I wouldn't advise it for dry skin though - it could end up clinging to the dry parts.  I think the shade choice is good and I'm not sure about the others but pebble isn't orange and also isn't too yellow.


Rimmel


The next one I tried was Rimmel's Lasting Finish 25hr foundation in 200 soft beige.  This was a shade or two too light for me but I made it work with a little extra bronzer.  The texture to it wasn't too bad, it wasn't runny.  It did take a little bit of extra work blending it into the skin i found - it was like it just moved across your face rather than sinking in.  The lasting power of this also wasn't great, I found by the end of the day it would start to look a little patchy.  It gave a medium to full coverage and took care of my slight redness which is a positive.  The only thing that put me off was its staying power!


L'Oreal


L'Oreal Lumi Magique was next on the list and I was a little skeptical about it, tbh.  This is because it says it has 'liquid light technology', to me this means it's trying to have a 'dewy' finish.  I prefer a more matte finish but this was definitely more of a satin/dewy finish.  I did however really like it!  It had great coverage and the shade was just a tad light (C4 rose beige), but the darker one would have been a bit too orange.  The dewy finish was actually very pleasant with a few people noticing a change in my foundation.  I didn't expect it to last all day but it didn't budge!  It also applied really easily, was a nice texture without being too thick and felt great on the skin.


Bourjois


Last but not least is a fairly new foundation I think.  It's called 123 perfect, it says it contains 3 perfecting pigments. One to cancel out dark-circles, one for anti-dull complexions and the final one to cancel out redness.  This was a very runny foundation and had the most yellow undertone to it (53 light beige) - this means it didn't look as natural on me.  It also needed a bit of work to blend out but once it had it was a nice finish on the skin.  At first i could still see my redness through the foundation - which was a little worrying considering the name!  However once it settled into the skin it was fine.  It is only a medium coverage at most though - at least compared to EL.  It doesn't have great staying power either!  There wasn't any patchiness but it looked like it had started to wear of in some areas that might have less product.  This meant areas like my cheeks (with the blush etc...) looked a little darker compared to my forehead.


All in all, these four foundations are pretty great.  Estee Lauder is an obvious repurchase but for the high street I would definitely buy the L'Oreal Lumi Magique again! 


I think the L'Oreal would be great for Summer!  It gives good coverage but it isn't too thick so it wont feel like you're melting (assuming we see the sun again!). 


When I apply my foundation I don't tend to use a primer - I may sometimes apply some moisturiser which does the trick.  


I always apply it with a Sigma F80 - flat top kabuki brush (there's a link to the right for where to get them).  This brush is amazing and always blends foundation in nicely - without shedding!


Once I've done all my make up I use an Urban Decay All Nighter setting spray - this is more to keep my powder products in place.


Prices


I bought all of these at Boots and I usually buy my Estee Lauder from there too;
Estee Lauder - £26.50
Rimmel - £6.99
L'Oreal - £10.99
Bourjois - £6.99 (usually £10.99)


Hope this helps if you are trying to find a good quality high street foundation!


Happy shopping, Nic xo



No comments:

Post a Comment