Wednesday 25 April 2012

Crafty Lady!

My Handmade Accessories!

Last night I tried my hand at finger knitting - don't laugh!  It is actually really popular among the younger generation on Youtube.  I didn't get taught it in school but a few people have said they did; so it should be easy for us adults if kids can do it right?!  Wrong! 

Well it wasn't too difficult but it did take a while to get the hang of it!  There are plenty of videos and blogs out there to help you get the hang of it.

There are a few different methods of finger knitting - you can do it using one, two, three or four fingers.  I tried the two finger and four finger approach.

Here's some pictures of my master pieces!

To be honest I think it is a bit limited as to what you can do with your finished product.  The easiest things include; scarfs, bracelets & necklaces.  I have also seen links for blankets & rugs - but I don't have enough time for that ha ha!  You can also finger knit long lengths to turn into flowers, these you could add onto other items.

I also think using an old t-shirt to make the bracelets would work better - the wool frays a little around the edges with wool, due to it being pulled on and off.

If you are skilled with a needle and thread you could sew various lengths of your knitting to make a bigger/thicker scarf or blanket etc...

The best materials to use would be a thick wool, that means you would get a chunky, close knit pattern.  Thinner wools/thread give a loose knit and a very thin knit - good for bracelets but not so much a comfy scarf.
I love this pastel coloured wool - great for Spring!

This idea came about thanks to Jade at my work, she was doing it for her college course and I thought it looked like something I could try.  She had bought this great wool from our local Hobby Craft - it is called a Pinky Knit.  It is a little box that holds your wool, with a hole at the top that you can pull through as much wool as you need.

Toffee the cat making an appearance :)
It also has instructions on the side of the box - very helpful!  They are easy to follow although some people may benefit from watching a tutorial on Youtube, seeing it being done in real time may help some folk.

The Pinky Knits are made in Britain and support The Campaign For Wool.  In our Hobby Craft they had four colour choices - the three above that I have and a cream/white colour too.

Go to www.pinkyknit.co.uk to check out their other colours and to gain some useful insight and ideas for projects.

Although it is coming up to 'Summer', I'll still continue to finger knit myself a new scarf!  You can make a really thin one which although it's wool - it can still be wearable in our lovely Scottish Summer!

Happy knitting, Nic xo


No comments:

Post a Comment